Monday, December 5, 2011

Drum Cake


I had the fun opportunity to make a stacked drum cake for my nephew Cameron's graduation party and thought I would share a bit of the process with you!



Naked cakes!!  The first stage of cake building--these tiers have been filled and are just resting and settling before they get iced in preparation of being covered in fondant.


The tiers are then iced smoothly with buttercream icing.




I kneaded several different colors of fondant together to get this tie-dyed effect for the drum sides.  I cut out strips that measured 4"in height plus the measurement of the circumference of each tier and wrapped them around the cake tiers.


I love how the fondant was so colorful and varied!  I placed supports and plates in the two bottom tiers in preparation for stacking the tiers on top of each other.  I love the SPS system by Bakery Crafts.  



I stacked the tiers on top of each other and got ready to add the finishing touches.



I cut strips of gray fondant and wrapped them around the cake tiers to emulate the metal strips on real drums.


I painted the gray fondant with silver luster dust mixed with Everclear to make everything nice and shiny.  We then loaded the cake into the back end of our Tahoe and traveled 6 hours to attend my nephew's graduation.



And the cake made it intact!!  My nephew added his drumsticks and the drum cake was complete!


Except for some drumming by Cameron, my enormously talented nephew!


Happy Graduation Cameron!!


No comments:

Post a Comment