Wednesday, July 18, 2012

How Much Will My Wedding Cake Cost?

I recently saw a hysterical video about a bride-to-be trying to get a cake estimate from her possibly, might-be wedding cake baker.  The video is attached below.


Caker's Nightmare

I know that choosing a wedding cake is something that most people only go through once or twice in their lives, so it stands to reason that one would not have a very realistic idea about what goes into estimating the cost of a wedding cake.   However, it's something that I do many times a week and so here is a list of four things to consider before contacting someone for a cake estimate.

1.  Wedding Date?--If your possible cake maker is good, she/he will book up fast!!  Although many of my phone conversations with brides-to-be start off with the questions "How much.........."  I quickly steer the conversation to "When is your wedding date?"  There's simply no reason to waste each other's time if the date in question has already been booked full for a year!

2.  Venue and Reception Time?  I can deliver 3-4 wedding cakes per weekend but this number is determined by where your reception is and at what time.  I serve a fairly large area since I'm located in a rural part of Oklahoma.  I've been known to travel to several far-flung towns on any given day, sometimes racking up over 400 miles in one day!  However, I need to be sure that I can accommodate all brides delivery needs on any of those given days!

3.  How many guests do you plan to serve?  My cake prices are determined by a per serving price so a rough estimate of how many guests you plan to serve is vital information for beginning the cake estimate process.

4.  Fondant or Buttercream Icing/Possible Cake Flavors?  Also effects cake estimate--so many variables go into even a rough estimate of a wedding cake.  Here's a link to the cake flavors, fillings and icings that I offer.

 Cakes by Diane Flavors and Pricing

There are several more variables that go into a cake estimate including, but not limited to, complexity of design, delivery charges, plateau rentals and flowers (gum paste or real).  Giving the four questions listed above some thought before contacting a potential cake maker will make for a far more productive conversation about your beautiful wedding cake-to-be!




No comments:

Post a Comment